Skip to main content

As an unrealistic dreamer by Murakami Haruki (4/4) International Catalunya Prize speech at 2011-06-11

Here is a complete English translation of Murakami Haruki's International Catalunya Prize speech at 2011-06-11, part 4/4.  This is not an official translation. Please tell me if you believe there are any legal issues in my distribution of a translation, though I believe this is one of the stories that we all can share.

Here is also related German article from Asienspiegel
Guardian



As I mentioned before, we are living in the ephemeral, always changing ``mujo'' world. In front of nature, we are powerless. Recognition of such transience is one of the fundamental ideas of Japanese culture. But at the same time, even if we are in such a fragile and dangerous world, we must have the silent determination to live vividly. We should be invested with this kind of positive spirit.

I am deeply proud that the Catalunyan people appreciate my work and have honored me with this prize. We live far away from each other and we speak different languages. Even our cultural foundations are different. But we still have similar problems and we have similar reasons for happiness and sadness -- we are both citizens of the world. That's why many of the stories of Japanese writers are translated into Catalan and people can read them. I am so happy that we can share the same stories with you. Dreaming is one of the jobs of a writer. But the more important job of a writer is to share these dream with other people. One cannot be a writer without feeling the need to share.

I know that the Catalunyan people have had a lot of hardship in their long history. There have been some harsh times, but you were strong and survived, protecting your own language and culture. We should have a lot of things to share.

If we become ``unrealistic dreamers,'' both in Japan and here in Catalunya, and if we establish a common idea of our values, how great it would be. This would be our starting point for the rebirth of humanity, a starting point after experiencing many natural disasters and passing through times of horrible terrorism. We should not fear having a dream.  We should not fear having a vision of the ideal. And we should not allow ourselves to be caught by the dogs of disaster named ``Efficiency'' and ``Convenience''. We will be ``unrealistic dreamers,'' striding forward, strong and confident.

This is the end of my speech, though I would also like to say that I will donate the full prize amount to the victims of the earthquake and of the accidents of the atomic reactors. I thank the people of Catalunya and the Generalitat de Catalunya who gave me these opportunities. And also, as a Japanese person, I express deep condolences to the recent earthquake victims of Lorca.





Supplement by the translator

Japanese transcripts of Murakami's speech can be found on the Web, mainly from the newspaper companies. However, there are some differences between Murakami's actual speech and these newspaper transcripts. (Perhaps the newspapers used an earlier manuscript of the speech.) This translation is based on the video of the speech on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-W7tX1Z-Y and related videos).


Acknowledgments


Thanks to Andy K. for working with me on this translation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .