How to remove the video recording time limitation of a Sony camera (Alpha 5000)

I have a Sony camera (Sony Alpha 5000) and I like it. But I have a problem of limitation of video recording time: 30 minutes.

Today I found a way to remove this limitation. I saw the next video:

The video creator said, we can disable the limit for most of the Sony's camera. I only tested Sony Alpha 5000.

The procedure

Camera preparation

  • Switch on the camera
  • Menu -- Setup --- USB connection, set connection to MTP
  • Switch off and on the camera
  • Connect to a computer with USB cable (keep connecting)

Software download and install (I checked this on Windows 10)

Note: This site is from Sony, but the software is not from Sony, so no guarantee. you should use this your own risk. I can not take any responsibility.

  • From the above URL, you can go to OpenMemories page
  • Download PMCADownloader plugin (PMCADownloader.msi) in the page
  • Install PMCADownloader

I once closed the page and open a page with https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/apps and went to OpenMemories again

  • Now You see in the log
  • Loading plugin
  • Plugin loaded

If you have not installed PMCADownloader yet, you don't see the ``Plugin loaded'' line. It might be better to restart your browser after installed the PMCADownloader.

  • Push ``Get camera info'' to test the plugin is working. If it is working, you will see your camera information in a several seconds.
  • Push ``Install OpenMeories: Tweak'' to install the tweak application to the camera
Disconnect the camera from your computer.
  • Menu -- Application -- Application list, you see OpenMemories: Tweak installed
  • Select OpenMemories: Tweak
  • Select the video tab, check the ``Disable video recording limit''
Now the limit became 13 hours. I presume this limit is depends on the free memory size.

I tested to record, but around one hour, it shut down with a message like ``internal temperature is too high and cool down''. Still this error message actually helps me. Because the normal mode silently shutdown and I could not notice it.


What a referendum really asking is...

What the referendum is really asking is....
Figure 1: Original brexit ballot paper

A problem of referendum is that people misunderstand the question all the time.
Figure 2: This is how most of the people saw the ballot paper
But the real question (at least the intention was...)
Figure 3: This is how the people should see.
The problem of referendum (or actually any vote) is people vote by feeling without thinking.

I enjoy reading Yuval Noah Harari's books.


A fake truth by web: google translate glitch

I make some basic mathematics learning materials. I publish them on YouTube. This time I got a strange comment.

``Why the title of this video is ``basic division''? It is about subtraction.''

I made this video in Japanese, my video title was in Japanese (基本のひき算), but the comment was in English.

I was puzzled, ``ひき算'' means ``subtraction'' instead of ``division''. I found out that the person who wrote the comment used Google translate. When I input ``ひき算'' to the Google translate, it indeed translates it as ``Division''. Japanese has Kanji and Hiragana (and Katakana) for writing and Hiragana is a phonetic notation. My basic subtraction video is for first or second class students, thus I use Hiragana (phonetic notation). If I put the Kanji notation (引き算) to the Google translate, it is correctly translated to the subtraction. If I use all phonetic notation (ひきざん), then Google translate outputs ``Hikiman'', which I don't know the meaning.

Figure 1: Japanese ひき算 (subtraction) is mistranslated to
 ``Division'' by the Google translate at 2017-10-14.

But I had a problem, since Google translate was trusted. I am just a random native Japanese speaker. If I said, Google translate is wrong, who will believe me?

I showed ``ひき算 (subtranction)'' is a phonetic notation of Kanji ``引き算'', this is shown in the following link (online Japanese dictionary).

Figure 2: Japanese-Japanese online dictionary shows a phonetic notation ひき算 is equal too the Kanji notation 引き算.

I also show the following Japanese-English online dictionary result, which shows ``ひき算'' means subtraction.

It is hard to explain that the Google translate is wrong sometime.

This is maybe related with ``Reality-based community`` or Stephen Colbert's Truthiness. We don't know where the truth comes from. We just need always be careful. Fortunately this helps some extent. Also we need to learn every day.

This is nowadays not a new. But I would like to record this ``Fake truth by web'' experience. I also wonder, is it good that the Google translate one day learns ``ひき算'' means ``subtraction'', or this is a good warning about what you can trust is not so solid, so I would like to keep this mistake.