Skip to main content

lambda and name

Japanese version

In mathematics, we use function names as f, g, and so force. When we have more than one function, these names f and g are useful to distinguish them. I assume the name f comes from English ``function'' in English (an old language on a plant called Earth.) But for any function we made, we wrote it as f:= ... except very special functions. We always wrote f:= ... for functions, for example, f(x):= x, f(x):= x^{2}, f(x):= sin(x), and so on.

It does not matter to write f:= ... or g:= ... . The substance part is this ... part, f is just like a tag of a parcel. If we can get a parcel, the tag does not matter.

Every planet has city halls if there are governments. Every planet has banks if there exists money. The people living these planets must wait in a long queue to get the service. This is usually defined by a law. If these services violate the law, i.e., they did not make the people wait, they will be arrested. Surely your planet would be the same. Most of the city hall in these planets issues a number on a card as describing a waiting order. A function name is just like such a number on the card. There is not so much meaning.

I prefer to be called by my name when I am waiting for my turn. But I will be fine, if this call-by-number system makes less waiting time than the call-by-personal-name system. The important thing is this ``number'' indicates what or who. If ``10'' indicates me, I am ``10.'' I have no feeling to prefer number 10. I do not say ``Oh, the number 10? I do not accept that number.'' The important thing is ``mapping'' from the number to me. Therefore, I could accept any number like 10, 42, or 156.

Although I repeated a name is a second matter, mapping from name to substance is essential. I could say a name is for mapping. If you can say several things by one name, it is a great first step of abstraction.

But, lambda calculus avoids names. If we do have less names, we can concentrate the substance. We use the name ``lambda'' instead of ``function''. ``Lambda'' seems no meaning, dry, and it seems not a name. On the other hand, a name is important for human understanding process.

Marvin: ``What a contradiction! A name is important, but does not matter. I'm depressed.''

I mean, mapping is the substance, which is depends on name. Therefore, a name is important ``for human,'' but the name itself can be anything like 10. In this sense, it does not matter. Isn't it clear?

A computer called a computer in English, Keisanki in Japanese, Rechner in German. Even the real substance computer hardware is the same, it is called different, different names. 1 is one in English, Eins in German, and ichi in Japanese. ``A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'' ``one by any other name should share the same concept as 1.'' Human usually understand a substance by its name. In this sense, the name is important. Some can think this is a philosophical problem. But a computer language called scheme (a lisp) clearly distinguish the substance and its name. The substance is lambda, and we can call it directory, or we can bind the name to a lambda (mapping!), then call it by the bind name. This is well defined. A machine can perform it. So, I think it is not a problem like ``what is life?'' Of course, it is difficult to make a map with a good name. Maybe think about a good name is a philosophical problem. (Here I use a stereotype as philosophy == difficult).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .