Skip to main content

Berlin Westhafen, responsibility, and arrogance of playing a god

Once I walk around this Hafen with one of my friends, we discussed a book (*) we both read recently. The discussion goes far and in many directions. But I found two points were interesting. 

Berlin Westhafen
Berlin Westhafen

One is as in the title, ``You have no responsibility for what was
happened, but you have responsibility for that not happens
again. (Original: Ihr seid nicht verantwortlich fuer das, was
geschah. Aber das es nicht wieder geschiert, dafuer schon)'' If I think
about responsibility, I believe that the people who were not born at
that time cannot have ``personal'' responsibility. Some extreme idea
says someone has responsibility for all the ancestors did. It does not
seem fair because the responsibility is passed on to the descendants. They are words about war, but I think it still holds in the case of war. It
should be noted that what I put parentheses around "personal"
here may not apply if that is not a person.

The other part is an argument that the dropping of the US atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki is necessary because it saved the American
people. I took one step back and thought about it. Taking a step back
means to think neither a party nor war. In that case, the debate is
whether an organization has the right to kill someone to help someone.
Then it became clear to me that this is a discussion about who can
decide who should die. I thought this part was scary. I don't think I
have the right to kill someone. When it comes to the context of "war,"
it suddenly becomes natural. For example, because it is a war, it is
natural to kill the enemy. Where and when did this arrogance come to my
mind?

My favorite philosopher says, "Handle so, daß die Maxime deines Willens
jederzeit zugleich als Prinzip einer allgemeinen Gesetzgebung gelten
könne." It may seem impossible for me to understand this sentence, but
when I read this sentence, I think that it means "act based on the
principle that is okay at any time." This is a guide of morals. According
to this sentence that some values ​​suddenly change because war, is
immoral. Isn't it always bad to be bad? Naturally, anyone came up and
said to me, if your loved one is killed, don't you think you want to
kill the murderer? Probably I feel so, yet, I don't think no one has the
right to kill someone. If I think it is, it's when I have the arrogance
to think myself that I'm a kind of god who can free to take the human
life.

(*) You have no responsibility for which was happened, but you have responsibility for that not happens again. Looking for a small peace. A record of Potzdam, Truman house, and Hiroshima-Nagasakiplatz: Masao Fukumoto, きみたちには、起こってしまったことに責任はない でもそれが、もう繰り返されないことには責任があるからね 「小さな平和」を求めて ポツダム・トルーマンハウスとヒロシマ・ナガサキ広場の記録: ふくもとまさお
https://store.voyager.co.jp/publication/9784866890906


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .