Skip to main content

A 6σ Woman (1)

Originally, I would like to continue to talk about the determinant, but, for a while, I would like to write about sigma story. And I will come back to the determinant again.

Starting with a question

Have you ever met a 6σ person?


What is 6σ?

When I lived in Saarbruecken, I saw a huge woman working in the Karstadt. I believe it's not true, but a rumor said, she stacked in a register seat when she was working. But I cannot say that is not a true... It is hard to find such a person in Japan. The distribution of Japanese's height or weight seems narrower than Germany's one. I feel the distribution of USA people is wider than those two countries. It means, large people are larger than others in USA, I think. 'Average' is an important concept in statistics, and this 'distribution' is the second important concept in statistics. The distribution, i.e., how the people have different weight, or how the people are close to their average weight.

In mathematics, this is called 'variance (σ^2)' or its square root 'standard deviation (σ).' Variance or standard deviation can show how many people are far away from the average. Using mathematical words, standard deviation of US people's weight distribution would be larger than Japanese one.


Figure 1 shows a normal distribution or Gauss distribution. The upper Figure is σ = 1 case, the bottom is σ = 2 case. The upper figure has smaller σ than the bottom one, we could call it Japanese type and the bottom one is US type. However, there are Political correctnessist (I just made this word up) -- who believe if people don't say the problem acculately, then, the problem will be gone -- would complain me. So, let's stick to the traditional name, the Gauss distribution.


Figure 1


Roughly speaking, The X axis of figure indicates samples, for instance, weight of people, the Y axis indicates how many people have that weight at X. The highest point at the center is average in Gauss distribution. This means, average is most common. If the average is 60kg, many of the people has 60kg weight most probably. Actually, we need to integrate this distribution, but, I try to give you a rough idea.

Standard deviation describes how the fat/thin people are distributed in the society, but, if the distribution can be approximated by the Gauss distribution, we could say, how a person is special by a single number. We can use the how many σ-special-degree someone is.


Because Gauss distribution is completely described by an average and a standard deviation, we can describe someone's location by using the average and $σ$. Here the average was chosen as zero, then only standard deviation is needed to say how someone is special or unusual. Gauss distribution is very powerful, but, there are many distributions that don't follow the Gauss distribution.

Next time, I would like to talk about that where is one. For Japanese students, this is also known as Hensachi (deviation).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .