Skip to main content

Mutually exclusive events and independent events are not the same.


Mutually exclusive events and independent events are not the same, therefore don't mixed up [1].  Recently, I started to read a book about probability. In the second chapter of the book [2], I have already found my big misunderstood. I didn't know this for a long time. I am not good at probability. Maybe because I missed very fundamental things like this. I thought mutually exclusive and independent are the same thing. Here, I would like to explain they are completely different concepts.

Mutually exclusive events are never happens at once.


An example of mutually exclusive events are

  • head of first toss of a coin
  • tail of first toss of a coin

One coin toss, head and tail at once never happened.

But independent events can happens at once. The definition of independent events is


This may not be 0. An example of independent events are

  • head of first toss of a coin
  • head of second toss of a coin

These two events are independent.

But, I also find this definition is kind of difficult for me. The definition said if the and-probability is equal to the multiplication of each probability, they are independent. However, how do you know the probability in general? I think it is hard to know exact probability from an observation. Maybe it's just definition, but, independent events are not so clear for me by this definition.

References

[1] Hisao Tamaki, Introduction to statistics for information science, for application of simulation algorithms. ISBN-13: 978-4781910123 (Japanese)

[2] Malvin H. Kalos and Paula A. Whitlock, Monte Carlo Methods, Volume I: Basics, ISBN-13: 978-0471898399

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why A^{T}A is invertible? (2) Linear Algebra

Why A^{T}A has the inverse Let me explain why A^{T}A has the inverse, if the columns of A are independent. First, if a matrix is n by n, and all the columns are independent, then this is a square full rank matrix. Therefore, there is the inverse. So, the problem is when A is a m by n, rectangle matrix.  Strang's explanation is based on null space. Null space and column space are the fundamental of the linear algebra. This explanation is simple and clear. However, when I was a University student, I did not recall the explanation of the null space in my linear algebra class. Maybe I was careless. I regret that... Explanation based on null space This explanation is based on Strang's book. Column space and null space are the main characters. Let's start with this explanation. Assume  x  where x is in the null space of A .  The matrices ( A^{T} A ) and A share the null space as the following: This means, if x is in the null space of A , x is also in the null spa

Gauss's quote for positive, negative, and imaginary number

Recently I watched the following great videos about imaginary numbers by Welch Labs. https://youtu.be/T647CGsuOVU?list=PLiaHhY2iBX9g6KIvZ_703G3KJXapKkNaF I like this article about naming of math by Kalid Azad. https://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-tip-idea-name/ Both articles mentioned about Gauss, who suggested to use other names of positive, negative, and imaginary numbers. Gauss wrote these names are wrong and that is one of the reason people didn't get why negative times negative is positive, or, pure positive imaginary times pure positive imaginary is negative real number. I made a few videos about explaining why -1 * -1 = +1, too. Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by pattern https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 Explanation: why -1 * -1 = +1 by climbing a mountain https://youtu.be/uD7JRdAzKP8 But actually Gauss's insight is much powerful. The original is in the Gauß, Werke, Bd. 2, S. 178 . Hätte man +1, -1, √-1) nicht positiv, negative, imaginäre (oder gar um

Why parallelogram area is |ad-bc|?

Here is my question. The area of parallelogram is the difference of these two rectangles (red rectangle - blue rectangle). This is not intuitive for me. If you also think it is not so intuitive, you might interested in my slides. I try to explain this for hight school students. Slides:  A bit intuitive (for me) explanation of area of parallelogram  (to my site, external link) .